Back to the grind. It finally feels like the holidays are long behind us, and as more and more snow falls, I can't help but be reminded that we are really in this. The dead of winter. But for once, I'm actually really starting to appreciate it. One of my new year's resolutions this year is to go for a walk every single day. I can safely say that I haven't quite made it out there every day, but I've been reminding myself that slipping up a couple of times does not mean that it's over. It's a process of building new habits and appreciating the process of reaching for your goals. Thankfully, my new little puppy-niece Chevy has been more than willing to keep me accountable on these chilly snowy escapades down the laneway.
This week, I've been thinking about...
1. My first clean beauty purchases of the year finally came in the mail! As I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm trying to clean up my makeup routine over the course of the year, and since I am relatively okay with my Burt's Bee's BB Cream as a foundation, I decided to start by overhauling my eye products. I purchased this mascara and this liquid eyeliner after reading many positive reviews and recommendations. I'll certainly keep you updated with my own thoughts on them once I give them a solid go.
2. I listened to this Freakonomics episode about the internet the other day and found it pretty fascinating. I'm in a web design course this term, so to start off the term we have been exploring the basis of all web design - the very place it's hosted - the internet. For my generation, the internet has always just seemed to exist (I do remember the sketchy old dial-up connection though and the resulting "only 30 minutes of web time per day" rule). It's very enlightening to hear some of the very creators of the system we so heavily rely on speak about their dreams for the space and their thoughts on what it has become.
3. I made these black bean burgers for dinner the other night. At first, I wasn't so convinced, but after eating them as leftovers for two days in a row, I can safely say that they are so good. I feel like when it comes to veggie burgers, the choice of toppings go a long way. We added avocado, chipotle mayo, and tomato to our freshly baked buns, but I'm sure a little smoked cheddar, sautéed onions, and crisp lettuce would also be delicious.
4. I love this article on ten different ways to use witch hazel. I bought a bottle of this stuff to make homemade linen and room sprays, but as it turns out, each recipe only requires a minimal amount. I'm looking forward to trying some of these other concoctions to see how far my bottle of witch hazel can go.
5. I just stumbled across this new podcast this morning and am already hooked. Curt even joined me at my desk as I worked just so he could listen along. If you have any interest in history, especially American history, this one is for you.
Enjoy your weekend, friends.